The Riverfly Partnership Anglers' Riverfly Monitoring Initiative (ARMI)
Note formerly known as the Anglers' Monitoring Initiative (AMI). This angler led initiative has wide engagement across conservation, wildlife groups, Rivers Trusts and others.
- enables an informed dialogue on the biological water quality of the rivers with EA/SEPA/NRW/NIEA
- ensures severe falls in water quality are highlighted enabling early action by EA/SEPA/NRW/NIEA
- acts as a deterrent to potential polluters
- builds a long term dataset for the rivers
To join the Riverfly Partnership ARMI an organisation:
- generates interest from individuals in their organisation / locality to monitor the biological water quality of the river
- identifies a representative to act as a local coordinator (contact point between the monitoring group and the EA / SEPA / NRW / NIEA local Ecology Contact)
- arranges for interested individuals to attend a Riverfly Partnership one-day ARMI workshop
The one-day ARMI workshops, are hosted by the local organisation and delivered by a Riverfly Partnership accredited tutor in collaboration with the local EA / SEPA / NRW / NIEA Ecology Contact. The workshop provides a comprehensive review of the monitoring technique and includes short presentations, practical demonstrations and active involvement by participants at the riverside. There is a ratio of one tutor to six participants. Each workshop is therefore limited to 12 participants per day. Supported by a comprehensive written guide to the methodology and post-workshop support from the tutors, clubs and organisations are shown how to establish monitoring groups and register sampling sites with their local EA / SEPA/ NRW / NIEA Ecology Contact. Sampling a single site takes less than an hour to complete. Data from sampling sites throughout the catchment will give a new degree of resolution to biological water quality of these rivers, help direct conservation action and ensure their good ecological status.
ARMI workshops are run accross the country. See diary of events for ARMI workshops held to date.
For further information and to host a workshop
Riverfly Partnership Workshop details and booking form – DOC-File, 78.0 KB